Sunday, September 19, 2010

BFSP - 2010

I haven't posted anything on the Black Forest Star Party this year, so I thought I'd jump on that before I forget.

First off, for those of you who are concerned that if you don't get to Cherry Springs by no later than noon on Friday you won't get a decent spot, you can forget that myth. Mario Andretti had nothing on me as I tried to get there ahead of the crowd, but when I got there I found that there was barely a spot open; people had been there since Monday, September 6th. Don't speed on your way to Cherry Springs for the BFSP because it won't matter and it's not worth it. But it is a fun drive!

Now that that's out of the way, I have a message for you smokers out there. Yes, smoking is permitted at Cherry Springs, but you inconsiderate smokers out there really piss me off. Is it too much to ask for you to not smoke in high traffic areas like the vendors tents, dining area, and door prize room? I had to leave several times because of the smoke. I know that doesn't bother you in the least, but for next year's BFSP please be considerate of the vast majority who do not smoke, and find some secluded area to partake your nasty habit.

Other than this, there was still a few of you who just don't give a flying rat's rear end about park rules. Since Cherry Springs is a state park, that means that no alcoholic beverages are permitted. Nor are you allowed to bring your dog. Yet, some of you still insist on open containers in your vehicles, which is a crime in Pennsylvania. I love dogs a good beer like anyone else, but leave them at home when you go to Cherry Springs.

Aside from these things, BFSP was acceptable this year. Friday night's viewing was very good, but Saturday went down hill as clouds rolled in.

Here are some pics from some of the more outstanding scopes this year. This one, a Takahashi TOA-130 refractor, is my favorite.


No comments: