Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The floor is yours, Amy2.

Amy,

Welcome to my blog.

Here, you will find a much different environment than the one that you are used to at Ray's blog. In this environment, the First Amendment is honored, not tread upon like a doormat. Here, you can state whatever you wish, no matter how much it may offend your audience. In this place, no posts are screened nor will they ever require my approval. Anything you say will be automatically uploaded. No post will ever been censored, nor will they ever be deleted, even those that I disagree with or defeat my argument.

There are no rules here. There are no moderators. There is only the pursuit of truth, logic, and reason.

While I respect the faith of others, I have nothing but contempt for the type of dogmatic faith that tries to involve itself in science and politics. That should not suggest that I don't believe faith can be used to advance science and humanity. And I absolutely detest the kind of faith that is used to injure or kill others who don't subscribe to their point of view.

While I do not accept Christianity, I am not an atheist. I believe that the goodness that you have is in spite of your faith, not because of it. I believe that anyone who claims to know the will of God and make extraordinary claims, like raising the dead, is at the absolute height of arrogance and should not be trusted. I also believe that God, whoever He/She/They/It may be, is far too dreadful and powerful for any and all of the world's religions to claim as their own.

Without hesitation, I accept science over faith. And while I believe that faith can be used for both good and evil, I believe that same can be said of science. For all the triumphs that science has given us, it has also given us many dark chapters in human history. I also believe that if a divine Creator does exist, and created all of the rules that drive the physical Universe, then that Being also gave us the curiosity, creativity, and intellect to discover the mysteries of that Universe. In other words, I don't believe that God would give us a brain and not challenge us to use it.

With all that said, you are welcome to choose any topic you like for discussion. As I stated in Ray's blog, you are welcome to post as many links and quotes as you like.

I yield the floor.

No comments: