Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thoughts on the word "tolerance"

I had a very brief exchange this morning with a Christian about the decision by the founders of Conservapedia to come out with their own version of the Bible. Apparently, all modern translations of the Bible are too liberal and feminine for these clowns, so they feel it's absolutely imperative to have their own version. Oh, and Hell. Apparently, nobody takes the "logic" and "very real existence" of Hell seriously these days. What a joke. If they do come out with their version of Gawd, I can't wait to get my hands on it so I can eviscerate it as well.

Anyway, the topic of tolerance came up from said Christian. The gist of his argument was, "for someone whose political group places so much emphasis on tolerance, you sure don't practice what you preach." No pun intended.

So let's consider this word for a moment in light of what the Bible says about a variety of topics, starting with parenting.

"And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death." Exodus 21:15

So, one of these days, if Brendan ever hits me out of childhood frustration and anger, the Bible says I have to put him to death.

I won't go too far into every facet and every verse of the Bible here. But Christians don't have much authority to wield when they discuss intolerance by atheists, agnostics, and other freethinkers toward Christianity. Genocide, infanticide, rape, murder, lying, slavery, and abortion are all condoned in the Bible. Are these things that we should tolerate?

I am intolerant of shameless ideologues who think the world should bow to their interpretation of God or die. I am intolerant of those who stomp on science and never make an attempt to understand it, but accept the luxuries it offers that make life better. I am intolerant of those who steal and lie to others to become wealthy. I am intolerant of misogynists who control and brainwash their wives and daughters, robbing them of a life, liberty, and education. I am intolerant of those who use religion in order to justify evil. I am intolerant of those who ignore science in favor of dogma.

Yes, I am intolerant. And you should be, too.

No comments: