Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sarah Palin's distorted worldview

Until yesterday, I had no idea what "blood libel" meant, and apparently neither did Sarah Palin.

Sarah has been all over the news in the past few days, trying to defend herself against her critics while condemning the attacks in Tuscon last Saturday. She should do both of these, but something Sarah doesn't do is check her facts and sources before she sits in front of a camera to deliver yet another failed speech.

When I sit here to make an entry in my blog I try to verify every single thing I say and fact before I post it. If I am unsure of the meaning of a particular phrase, term or word, I look it up. If I am uncertain of a date on which an event occurred, I verify it. If I don't know the aspects of a certain theory, I make sure that I find out the principles of that theory. That's not to say that I don't make mistakes. But at least I care enough about truth and facts to verify them; Sarah Palin, however, couldn't care less because, well...she's Sarah Palin.

For example, at a speech she delivered in October 2008 in Pittsburgh, Sarah blasted French scientists for studying fruit flies instead of doing something productive for the betterment of humanity like autism research. However, what Sarah didn't know was that scientists were studying certain proteins that could be an indicator for autism -- those proteins are found in fruit flies. Of course, this example should stand as yet one more reason among many why most Republicans should never be allowed anywhere near a microphone and talk about science.

Sarah's most recent faux pas, of course, was her use of the term blood libel, although there are probably hundreds that one could choose as an example. But before that, Sarah showed how little regard she has for common sense when she allowed this image at her PAC site. It displays a map of the US, complete with cross-hairs in congressional districts in which their respective congressional representative voted for the passing of universal health care legislation. One of those, of course, was that of Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in the head at point blank range by a complete psychopath.

Needless to say, the image has since been removed from the site. One would think that as a former public servant, she would have had the mental acuity to prevent the image from being posted in the first place.

Earlier this week, Glenn Beck stated on his radio show that he had an e-mail exchange with Palin. In her response to Glenn, she stated "I hate violence. I hate war." Really, Sarah? If that's so, then you might want to tone down the rhetoric and distasteful imagery you choose to display at your site.

You could understand why pictures and videos of you firing an M-16 might cause one to doubt your sincerity, especially when you use say irresponsible trash like "don't retreat -- reload!" The same thing can be said of fellow right-wing nutjob, Michelle Bachman, who reportedly wants and AR-15, and telling her constituents in Minnesota that she wants them "armed and dangerous."

Am I saying that Palin, Bachmann, and Beck are responsible for what happened in Tuscon last week? No. Not at all. But I am saying that they do infuse a certain element of fear and loathing into this discussion, and must tone down the "lock and load" bullshit before somebody else is killed or injured. And I am absolutely saying that neither of these three have the sense of a ball of lint, and even worse judgment.

In related news, a gun manufacturer in South Carolina is now releasing rifle components with the term "YOU LIE" engraved into them, a reference to Joe Wilson's outburst during President Obama's speech regarding universal health care in September 2009. I wonder if the company is aware just how much of a hypocrite Joe Wilson really is.

With all this speech about guns, locking and loading, re-loading, being armed and dangerous, and the current talking point about duels coming from the right-wing over the past few years, it's bordering on terrifying to know that these two are actually considering a run for the White House in 2012.

No comments: